Sunday, March 17, 2013

"No quiero que tu vayas."

"I don't want you to go."

I have been getting this statement more and more as the number days until I leave this gorgeous country gets smaller. When I think back to my first day here it seems like a year has passed, but in reality the weeks here are flying fast. This past Friday is a school day that will stay with me forever; I will recap:

The day started with its normal and crazy Friday excitement so when recess #1 came everyone was ready to bolt outside. I had promised a group of my boys that I would play "bolinchas" (marbles) with them. I find the same group every day behind our classroom tearing it up with marbles of all kind and I wanted to join this fun. Immediately I had been gifted with a handful of marbles of various colors ready to learn. For the following 15 minutes my little boys were full of so much laughter and shouts of joy every time their marble hit the "profe's." One of my students, Kener, who acts so tough and tells the girls in the class he's not going to miss me when they talk about me leaving, jumped into my arms when the bell rang and looked up at me with the biggest smile and just said "Profe!" :)  He then grabbed my hand and we skipped off to class together. My heart couldn't have been happier to make this small connection with my students. For the rest of the day I would feel a little tap on my back every now and then to see one of my little boys giving me a new, even prettier marble then before, with a big grin on their face. Needless to say, I was invited back to play marbles the next recess (score!).

It was a short day for Kayla and I because we were going to meet the art teacher, Roxana, at her house in Guápiles to do some art projects. So, before I left I wrote a little message on the board to my students wishing them a happy weekend. Shortly after had a swarm of my students around me asking me not to go and literally trying to trap me in the room. I was then handed various works of art and pictures as a bribe to not go ;) My little boy, Kener, grabbed both of my hands and reached up to give me a huge kiss on the cheek and said, "te quiero, profe." (I love you, profe) I was honestly on the brink of tears just leaving my students for half a day. Three of them made sure to usher me to school entrance to see me go. I looked back and watched a group of my students just standing there watching me walk away. I felt my heart break at that moment knowing that in a few weeks I will have to walk away for good...I can't imagine what the end of one school year is going to be like someday with my students.

Oh, my beautiful crazy students, who have made a little nest in my heart...
















To share some other happenings in the magical world of Costa Rica a weekend ago we traveled with Papi to meet his sister, Karen, and her husband, Carlos, to adventure throughout Cartago. Karen and Carlos are so friendly and were very excited to share new sites with us. Our first stop was the breakfast table at their home in Cartago; it was tasty and lovely. We then traipsed through town a little bit to see the beautiful Basílica de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles and the ruinas (ruins). The basilica was breath-taking and so peaceful. Outside of the basilica there is a little walkway to a spot where there is holy water flowing from a few different spots. A lot of people come there to pray, bathe different parts of their body that might need healing or to fill up bottles to take home. Inside the basilica was even cooler!






After visiting the basilica, we went to walk through the ruins, which was lovely. On the inside there was a gorgeous garden and small pond!



Our next stop of the day was Volcán Irazú. I loved the whole drive up to this spot; so much agriculture, cool air, and neat little towns. We could see Cartago getting smaller and smaller as we drove up, it felt like being in the clouds.  Once we made it to the national park we walked around and looked at 2 out of the 3 craters that Irazú has. I don't know how to explain being by a volcano, but it was pretty neat and inactive, so no worries. On our way out of the park we got some fresh strawberries and headed back.

















An old church we visited in Orosi, which was full of much history!



After volcano Irazú we went through two indigenous pueblos, Orosi and Cachí, where Mamí was born. We ended up visiting Mamí's dad actually, who was so sweet and even played the guitar for us.
Afterwards we visited the house where Mamí grew up it- super awesome and huge!!




On Sunday Kayla, our friend Odie, and I went on a lovely adventure to a little place in Guácimo called "La Perla," where we trekked to an absolutely fantastic waterfall. The walk there was amazing as well; there were cool bamboo bridges and a BMX track!









Roxana's outside workshop is basically like a dream!
Kayla and I crafting/putting on a marionette show with Roxana :)

















Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! I wish and pray all the best for each of you :) Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment