Sunday, April 14, 2013

Full Circle

I can't believe where I am right now, sitting in my room at SNC, having had one full week of Kindergarten in the states already under my belt. I can't even describe this odd feeling within me...I was just in Costa Rica and so much has changed in my life already. The fast-paced American culture really sweeps one up fast.

Getting ready to leave our last morning was an emotional time. Of course the beautiful sun was shining calling us to a new day. Kayla and I had a relaxing a lovely breakfast with Mami, finishing a little packing and took a walk around the yard for the last time. Kayla and I climbed to the balcony and took in the gorgeous site we had been waking up to every day for the past 3 months. A cousin of the family, Reynaldo, had offered to drive us to the airport so once he arrived it was a couple very sad and hard "goodbyes" to Mami and Papi, and we were off. On our way, Rey got Kayla and I our last Agua de Pipa before leaving, which was refreshing! Driving to the airport was surreal; I didn't actually feel like we were leaving. Even being on the plane felt unreal. As soon as Kayla and I flew into Charlotte I knew we were definitely not in Costa Rica anymore. I felt....disappointed. I noticed right away what I did not miss about the US. People consumed in their own little worlds. Granted, you will find this almost anywhere, but it's so evident here in everyday interactions. However, instead of dwelling on the faults in American society, I will work to maintain the beautiful lifestyle practices that I lived amongst in my time abroad.

You know something? I don't think I will stop missing Costa Rica. Ever. I think about it every day. There exists air of peace, patience, love, and tranquility. I now understand why our friend, Patricio the "Gringo," would tell us that this place is "el centro del mundo" (the center of the world). Every time something even remotely stressful came our way or a mistake was made, the first thing to come from someone was, "tranquilo/a." Tranquil. Don't worry. Have peace within yourself. There's no reason to fret. This attitude reminds me of the beautiful serenity prayer:

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next."

--Reinhold Niebuhr
 It is not hard to become worried about trivial things in life, but Costa Rica taught me that each moment is a blessing and one to enjoy, right here, right now. I want to be present in the now for the rest of my life and I don't want to miss a moment worrying about what hasn't been.

During this past week I have already felt the pressure of scheduling, planning, getting all my ducks in a row, and having all my stuff "together." When I was in Costa Rica, none of my ducks were in row, every day was a new adventure and a new challenge, and you know what? I felt happier than ever because I was discovering things about myself and about people and that is more important to me now than ever. I have a renewed sense of self, purpose, and passion for living mostly because of all the people that came into my life over the past 2 and half months. Thanks to all these new people in my life, I am reawakened to the possibilities in life, and have been brought closer to God by their beautiful hearts. When I think about my experiences in life, I think of the people who have taught me about what it means to love one another and to love myself. So, to all my Costa Rican family and friends, THANK YOU. Words will never do justice to the impact you have made in my life. I miss you every day.

To all my family and friends in the U.S., you rock. I could not have even embarked on this adventure without the love and lessons you have taught me up until this point. You are all the reason I am fired for life everyday and willing to step outside my boundaries to continue learning more. It is a happy occasion to again say "hellos" instead of all the "goodbyes".

To everyone I say "Pura Vida;" love each moment for what it is and never stop adventuring :)


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you to have embarked on this life altering adventure. This is an experience you'll never forget and will always be a great part of your Heart! Welcome back, I so enjoy reading your memoirs of Costa Rica. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete