Thursday, February 21, 2013

Me: "How are we able to breathe?" Student: "Through our hearts?"

It's responses like that... the goofy looks across the room, whispered stories, surprise hugs, the light in my students' eyes when they finally understand, shared tortillas and juicy mango, and endless amounts of curiosity that leaves my heart smiling constantly here when teaching. There is not one day that passes where the joys during the day aren't able to overshadow all the challenges and struggle.








It's finished! The U.S. puzzle map. They all really get a kick out of doing this puzzle every day.
                                Look at these beautiful ladies enjoying their meriendas! (snacks)

I cannot believe how fast these past two weeks have gone in school and looking ahead seems even crazier. Just two days ago Kayla and I celebrated being here one whole month. One month. Here I am in the middle of one of the biggest adventures I have ever had in my life and it's still so surreal.

I don't even know where to start, like normal, maybe I'll start with SLOTHS!!! because I have seen a grand total of two in the last few days. Imagine seeing your favorite animal just meandering through your school, place of employment, or home...it's pretty unreal, amigos. Yesterday Kayla came running to my classroom and told me to come outside. I didn't believe that there could be a sloth hanging out in the middle of the school, but sure enough hanging snuggly from a branch was the lazy, tranquil creature that I love. During the following recess, a swarm of students and I watched this school sloth make its way (slowly of course) from one tree to another. Ten minutes later, our sloth friend made it to the neighbor tree. There were lots of screams, giggles, and happiness all around!

 Today we sighted the sloth climbing through school ( I think it was late for class...)


To share a little bit about what the last few weeks have been like I will start with our surprise weekend with our new cousins, Xiomara and Marlon, 2 of the coolest people I have ever met.

Two Saturdays ago, Xiomara and Marlon showed up to the house and said we were going mountain climbing in Suerre, which is a city close to Guácimo! Xiomara and Marlon were so excited to show Kayla and I everything. We stopped at a Tilapia farm to chat with a few of their close friends and see a beautiful stream in their backyard. There are so many Tilapia farms here in Costa Rica, it's great! Past the farm we were doing some serious off-roading up and up until we reached a perfect spot to get out a walk.






We found our way to a gorgeous waterfall that absolutely took my breath away. Simple bliss is what I felt the whole time being in this environment. I want to plant my future home right there.


















The following Sunday Marlon and Xiomara picked us up at 6:15 sharp for an all day adventure around the Limón province. *Little note about Marlon and Xiomara: these two are absolutely the most "Pura Vida" people I have met here in Costa Rica. They are so full of life and were so thrilled to take us to all these absolutely amazing places. Here is a brief outline of what we accomplished together in one unforgettable day:
1. Breakfast stop at an adorable outdoor cafe called "El Primo," where we tried out first Costa Rican coffee...mmm, rico.
2. Pit stop to pick up our favorite fruit here, Guanabana :) Like a mixture of pineapple, strawberry, and oranges.
3. Visit a few hidden rivers.
4. Watched huge cargo boats being loaded, including Dole fruit company!
5. Tour around the center of Limón.
6. Drive through the indigenous villages in Costa Rica; so peaceful and discrete.
7. Check out what cocoa trees and their fruit looks like.
8. Taking a boat from Cash, a small city, to PANAMA (what!?) to get some items at a import store.
9. Peaceful afternoon in the Caribbean, snacking on the beach.
10. Driving home with uncontrollable smiles and content hearts.
11. Dinner at "El Primo."
12. Best night of sleep ever.

It was honestly the best weekend I have had here, and all the other weekend have been pretty amazing themselves. I am so thankful for Xiomara and Marlon, their gracious hearts, and their love of adventure. I will not forget it.

















The following week was our first full week of school, which was great! I have come to accept that my students are definitely going to be teaching me more than I will be able to teach them in my time with them. I love them and how they surprise me in many ways every day. I played soccer with the boys in gym the other day... oh my goodness... I'm pretty sure they are better than my high school's soccer team was. They love sharing soccer stats with me even though most the time I have no idea what they are talking about, I just smile and nod :) I am slowly learning the team names, I fear I might be quizzed one of these days soon!

One of my students favorite things to do is have me quiz them in math facts once they are done with their work. I make little problem sets and they set to work with determined minds, it's so fun to see their faces when I correct their work. Also, riddles. Today I wrote a riddle on the board for them today and they went crazy (in a good way). Once they figured it out they were begging for more.

Parents. I love talking with my students' parents, they are so kind and loving. The other day one of my students' moms told me she doesn't know what is going to happen when I am gone because her son likes having me as a teacher in his class. It made my heart melt. Yesterday one of the moms brought me a bag of recently cooked corn on the cob, which was awesome and yummy! That was a good walk home, snacking on come corn and discussing the day. The other week another one of my students' moms invited Kayla and I over to just sit and chat.

As this blog post turns into a chapter book I will resort to a list of things I am so blessed to have experienced recently :)

-A Saturday trip to San José, the capital city, to visit some popular sites like the National Theater, the Zoo, Casa Amarilla, The Cathedral, and Central Market. Kayla and I walked around for 7 hours taking in a very different city life! :)
-Surprise Birthday Party for Papí's sister. I am in love with this beautiful family. Almost all 11 siblings were there at the party where there was karaoke, copious amounts of food, dancing, piñata, merriment, and did I mention food? It is so wonderful to be in a place where the love between individuals is so visible.
-Talking with Mamí about God and other beautiful topics. She is such a strong woman of faith and love, I look up to her very much!
-Teaching Papí how to use the computer and set up an email account, tehehe.
-Wednesday Pilates with the ladies from church (and a small crab that wanted to join us on the floor). I was so relaxed after this!
-Being able to take time to reflect and see how truly amazing this opportunity it. God is good, life is sweet, and living in each moment just keeps getting better.

I pray that you all are in great spirits no matter what the weather is, literally and emotionally :)
Much love and peace from Costa Rica,
Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment